Monday, July 11, 2016

Evolution of an album

Writing a new record is like going on a trip someplace you've never been, with no map and no idea how long it will take to get there. As I said in a previous post, albums take on a life of their own and change direction the more you write. This continues to be true of this one. I wrote a new song on Friday night and while it's in keeping with the dark tone of this record, it's kind of a mountain ballad which will probably consist simply of vocals, guitar and banjo. That being said, there is also a murder ballad on this record that seems to be heading towards a more Eleanor Rigby-like sound with strings and piano.
It's going to be a widely varied mixture of sounds, styles and influences I've gathered in my 30 odd years of making music and in 45 days we'll see where that takes us. I'm really looking forward to the journey ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment